Thursday 14 August 2008

Birthday Treat

Today was my birthday, and I would like to thank all the lovely people who sent greetings and good wishes to me, it was totally unexpected and made a great day even greater. My lovely wife took me to Williamson Park in Lancaster and we visited the Butterfly House and had a walk round the grounds. I took some photographs, which I would like to share with you.

These are two Owlwing butterflys feeding from some very ripe bananas.

A view of part of the house.

This is one of the two Red Legged Terrapins who share the house with the butterfly's.
The house also had a thriving population of air plants.



This little thing is an Oak Gall, inside the gall is the larva of a type of wasp, the hard exterior gives protection from predators.
Much of the natural rock in the park is stained by iron ore deposits.
This is a hatching cabinet in the house where the cocoons are kept out of harms way , untill the butterfly's emerge.
This beautiful butterfly is called a Glass wing.

Hope you enjoyed looking at the pictures.

8 comments:

Bryony Ramsden said...

Happy Birthday Mr Mog! Beautiful photos... Hope you had a wonderful day :)

Wye Sue said...

Happy Birthday :-)
You share it with my boys !!

Hope you have a good time in Wales next week and the sun shines - if it is anything like this week you are going to need your wellies ;-)

Sue Krekorian said...

Happy Birthday, dear Mr. Mog. It looks as if you had a lovely day. I wish you very many happy returns.

knitmd said...

Your photos of the butterflies are absolutely amazing! Totally awesome. Thank you for sharing them!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous - what an amazing place!

I've never seen an owls wing butterfly before.

Really pleased you had a good day. I always envy people who have summer birthdays - nicely far away from the FOTCR™.

Artis-Anne said...

Those are really lovely pics Bob and great birthday outing it sounded too :)

Mad about Craft said...

Happy Birthday!!

Glad to see you had such a nice day.

aniexma said...

Beautiful shots!